Timer to Mute Your Android Device
When I mute my android phone during a meeting or so, I always have the problem of forgetting to unmute the phone afterwards. And so I miss calls or emails. A year ago I was screening the market to find a simple app that lets me mute my phone for the amount of time I choose. Normally i know about how long a meeting or a visit to the cinema lasts. So I want my phone to automatically unmute after the defined period of time. I did not succeed in finding such an app. So i decided to write my own. While writing this article I looked into the market again and realized that in the meantime some apps like this have been published. I have not tried them, so I don't know if they would satisfy my needs. The features I did expect from such an app (and that I implemented) are:
- Simple Usage. I want a list of predefined time intervals to choose from. When you want to mute your phone, you normally don't have the time to fiddle around with some complicated program.
- Show time remaining. I want to see the time remaining, when i pull down the notification bar.
- Add Time. If a meeting lasts longer than expected, I want to have the possibility to add more time.
- Abort. I need to have the possibility to abort the timer.
If you want to use this app yourself, you can download it from this site or from google market. If you download it from this site, you need to modify your Android's settings to allow the installation of applications from other sources. Under "Settings", select "Application Settings" and then enable "Unknown Sources".
I plan to implement some more features to automate muting and unmuting. E.g. I want to implement possibility to mute the phone on a weekly time table. So I can say, the phone has to be muted every night from 10 pm to 6 am. Maybe it is also useful to mute the phone based on its location. So it mutes automatically when i approach my favourite cinema. But I am not sure about this.
The app is tested on the following hardware:
- Dell Streak 5, running Android 2.2.2 (StreakDroid 1.9.0).
- Motorola XOOM, running Android 3.2
As soon as I find the time, I will show on this blog, how I implemented the app.
- Starting App: After starting the app you can choose the period of time your device will be muted.
- Time Remaining: When you expand the Android status bar, the time remaining is displayed.
- Adding Time: When you click the entry in the status bar, you can add more time or cancel the timer.
Zu diesem Eintrag gibt es keine verwandten Einträge